Friday, August 10, 2007

We’re Screwed

What are we doing to ourselves and our children?

I was checking my email at Spinnelli Coffee today and saw a woman getting seated with a drawing block under her armpits. I paid little attention to her until her friend joined her.

That when I began eavesdropping. They were there to do their children’s homework. They were discussing what the best crayons was, the best strokes blah blah.

When I peeked over, I saw pencil tracings on the paper. Their conversation went on, “the stock market, blah blah blah,”, “My husband, blah blah blah,” they went on.

When I peeked again half an hour later, I saw the most child-like, what you can see winning ribbons at children’s art contests, type of drawing. The woman had expertly drawn a scene with MRT trains, Merlion (which incidentally still hold’s the title to the World’s Largest Mutant award), Condominium blocks, cars, Benjamin Shears Bridge and the Durian.

This was probably the child’s homework or competition piece for National Day. I won’t be surprised if the child ‘won’. Ya sure he ‘won’.

If he did, then as a nation I now am convinced we are screwed!

No comments: